Basic planting guide from Wan Ying of Little Urban Oasis:
- Root from cutting: check out this herb 101 video
- Grow from seed: sprout in less than a week
- Sun: min 4 hours (the lemon basil in the pic was grown under full 8-hour sun; Thai basil is happy with full 8-hour sun too; for western style basil such as sweet basil, give them some shade, 4 – 6 hours are good enough)
- Water: typically water once a day
- Soil: well-drained soil (soil: compost: sand = 50:20:30)
- Soil pH: different herbs require slightly different pH range but maintain pH 6.2 to 6.8 works well for most of the herbs
- Prunning: once a week if you grow under full sun; 2 to 3 weeks if you have 4 hours of sun
- Pest management: spray ABS once a week, top and beneath the leaves (as preventive measure, ABS: Water = 1:300; change to 1 to 200 when you see pest attack and spray at least 3 times a week)*
*Besides being a pest repellent, ABS is also a fertilizer which is sufficient for herbs.
Keen to kick start home farming journey with Wan Ying? Learn more about our online gardening workshop here: https://learning.gopasarnow.com/workshops/.